It gets easier. Everyday, it gets easier. But you have to do it everyday. That's the hard part.
— Urya to Elliot
Urya Tigerlily Quint (b. 20 April – 26 December) was a Muggle-born witch of the Quint family, the eldest child of Jack and Emily Quint, as well as the elder sister of Udele. Prior to her education, she suffered a poverty-stricken and unhappy childhood which seemingly served to affect her for most of her life. She learned that she was a witch as a child after she began to engage in frequent and fervid displays of underage magic, distancing herself from her family and blighting her relationship with her sister.
Upon attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Urya was Sorted into Slytherin House on account of her shrewd and perceptive nature, making her one of the few Muggle-borns to have ever been Sorted into the House.
Life after Hogwarts
- "This isn't about you. This about what you didn't do. It's about what Philip did. It's about what I did. Your son wants to become an Auror. He gets wonderful marks and he tries hard in everything he does. He wants to save lives. And you know what, he did it all, no thanks to you! Because — and I'll say it again, Urya — you weren't here!"
- —Persia furiously confronts Urya over her prolonged ten-year absence
Death and post-mortem
- "She was strong, and you're strong; and she was brave, and you're brave. I know you didn't think much of her, but she loved you. And you wouldn't be who you are, and I wouldn't be who I am, if she hadn't of come into our lives. Make of that what you will, but she's in you, and that's a good thing."
- —Philip's eulogy at Urya's funeral
- "She's thin, she's ginger, she says "wow" a lot."
- —Description of Urya's most distinguishable features
Personality and traits
- "They don't call her Crazy Quint for nothing!"
- —A nickname derived from Urya's strange and spacey temperament
Magical abilities and skills
- Spruce wand:
- Lucky coin:
- "That woman was an evil old hag to your mother. I should know. Years and years of therapy bills to prove it."
- —Udele details Urya's miserable relationship with their parents
- "We were close. She was my best friend."
- —Urya on her former friendship with Udele
- Urya: "I'll love you forever, Philip."
- Philip: "You will?"
- Urya: "Yes. That's the problem."
- — Urya finally confesses her love for Philip
- "Elliot, I'm finally happy. People like us, we can be happy. I loved your dad and that's the most important thing, to find somebody to love, someone who loves you back just for who you are. I want that for you. I love you."
- —Urya comforting her son after their isolation from the family
- "Nothing means more to me right now than those children in there."
- —Urya regarding each of her grandchildren
- "She's so nice. She stopped two boys in our Transfiguration class calling me ‘Crazy’ the other day..."
- —Urya's fine opinion of Mallory
- "I know her, because I am the same as her."
- —Sirius warning Philip about Urya
Urya is a variation of the Persian name Ariya or Arya, also known as Aryo or Ario is an Indo-Iranian given name of Indian (Sanskrit) and Persian origins. In India, it is used as both a masculine and a feminine name, although the meaning is "noble goddess".
Tigerlily is an interplay of the masculine name Tiger, referring to the wild animal, and the feminine name Lily, referencing the lily flower and meaning "pure". The lily flower acts as a symbol of beauty and innocence and purity. The name therefore may allude to an innocent yet wild person.
Quint is an English surname and masculine given name. It comes from the Latin Quentīnus, a derivative of the Roman personal name Quintus, meaning "the fifth". Because of this the name is traditionally bestowed upon the fifth-born child.
- In European folklore and in the infamous treatise on witchcraft, Malleus Maleficarum, a combination of red hair and bright green eyes was considered a mark of witchcraft, thus it is notable that Urya possesses this exact colouring.