We're all dealing with the same hell; just different devils.
— Linus to Odysseus
Linus Arcturus Mortan (b. 27 July – 7 July) was a half-blood wizard of the Potter and Mortan families, the youngest child and the only son of Corvus and Astoria Mortan (née Malfoy-Potter). He was also the younger half-brother of Gwendoline Mortan. The son of a prestigious school governor and incisive journalist for the Daily Prophet, Linus cultivated an extremely spoiled, nosy and entitled nature as he was growing up, often thinking very highly of himself and his family. He was born and grew up in the ornate Mortan Manor in Wraxall, North Somerset, but relocated to a fairly more humble abode when he was young.
Upon attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Linus was Sorted into Slytherin House.
Life after Hogwarts
- "Most of all, I want to believe that the past is done with us the moment we are done with it."
- —Linus expressing his desire to move on from his past actions
Death and post-mortem
Personality and traits
- "As far as I can tell, you are still just the same lost, boring, power-hungry and self-indulgent spoiled brat that you were the very day I met you."
- —Damien commentates on Linus's negative qualities
Magical abilities and skills
- "That's what none of you seem to understand! There are no sides, we all go to the same hell. There is no good or bad. There's only weak or powerful. And I want to be powerful."
- —Linus and his impartial view on light and Dark magic
- Dark Arts:
- Non-verbal magic and wandless magic:
- Ancient Runes:
- Unforgivable Curses:
- "Happiness. Pride. Sadness. I mean, we all feel them, don't we? Doesn't matter who you are or what you say, what you do. There's emotion in the room. I can feel it. And I used to write these letters. I found it really easy to put down on paper how I felt and mean every word. And for that, I know I'll be a great addition to your sales team."
- Literacy skills:
- Social networking:
- "You have your mother's common sense, but your father's devilment. I see them fighting. Let your mother win."
- —Lily to Linus on his traits inherited from both parents
- Megaera: "Will you help me?"
- Linus: "Always! Always. Okay? Because you're my one, and I am yours. Okay? Look, Meg, I'm sorry about before... I love everything that you are. Okay? So, please, please, just love those things, too."
- — Linus confesses his feelings for Megaera and helps her through her transformation
- Gwendoline Mortan: "Brother, at times you make me wonder whose side you're on."
- Linus: "Sister, you wound me. You know how much I love this family."
- — Wendy questions Linus's loyalty to his maternal family
- Linus: "I don't like you."
- Inny: "I'll get over it."
- — A hostile exchange at a family gathering
- "He is not a reliable ally. He's just a vicious and spoiled boy who was raised to believe he was born with a crown on his head — and who could trust a friend like that?"
- —Sirius's refusal to take Linus on as his right hand
Aries Peltier III
- "Linus? I don't see the same thing in your eyes that I see in theirs. You should get out."
- —Maksim privately advises Linus to leave the Firm
The name Linus means "flax" in Greek, possibly indicating someone who was blond or flaxen-haired. Some sources say it is Etruscan for "one who mourns." In Greek mythology, Linus was the son of Apollo, and a talented musician on the lyre.
Arcturus, also designated Alpha Boötis (α Boötis, abbreviated Alpha Boo, α Boo), is the brightest star in the constellation of Boötes, the fourth-brightest in the night sky, and the brightest in the northern celestial hemisphere. Arcturus is also part of the Spring Triangle asterism and, by extension, also of the Great Diamond along with the star Cor Caroli. Loosely it can be translated from Greek as "guardian of the bear."
The surname Mortan may have several meanings. It could be seen as a variant of the Scottish habitational name Morton, meaning from the farm near the moor. However, it is believed to be a surname of French origin, taken from the old French word morte meaning "death" or "to die".
- Linus's theme song was I Want It All by Arctic Monkeys.
- Linus's specialised soundtrack, titled sell your soul, can be found on 8tracks.
- Linus's surname Mortan is derived from the French word morte, meaning death or to die. This may have been potential foreshadowing towards his own death, as he, his wife and his daughter (both of whom also took the name) died after meeting terrible fates.