Don't fear old prophecies. Defy them. We make our own heaven and our own hell.
— Inny to Linus
Madam Lily Minerva Cauldwell (née Leander) (b. 9 November), more commonly known as Inny, is a half-blood witch of the Potter and Leander families, the only daughter of the late Jedidiah and Lattice Leander (née Malfoy-Potter). She is also the younger sister of Sirius and the twin sister of Odysseus, as well as the goddaughter of her aunt Rue. When the twins were merely six years old, their father passed away due to a backfiring spell, leaving the children to be raised by their mother in Godric's Hollow. Having witnessed his death, Inny was left effectively scarred, with the ability to see Thestrals.
Upon attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Inny was Sorted into Slytherin House on account of her observance and analytical flair. Despite being separated from her twin brother, she quickly became best friends with fellow Slytherin Sasha Thorn.
- "Before she hit the world, she was this flame, so bright she burned. I think I knew even then that she was going to be remarkable. I felt it, even when I held her for the first time. I felt it with her brothers too, but with her... I was scared."
- —Lattice regarding her daughter's early years
- "Sometimes I think I was born backwards, you know, came out my mum the wrong way. I hear words go past me backwards. The people I should love I hate, and the people I hate..."
- —Inny after consuming Babbling Beverage during a party in the Slytherin Dungeons
Life after Hogwarts
- Albus Cauldwell: "As usual, nothing gets past Queen Cauldwell."
- Atria Hilliard: "You say that like it's a bad thing. I think it's admirable, really. She’s an máthair and she'll do whatever she has to do in order to protect what's hers."
- — Inny's newfound role as matriarch of the Cauldwell family
- "Too pretty for your own good, aren't you? That's why you destroy everything you touch."
- —Oliver MacDougal to Inny about her appearance
Personality and traits
- "Maybe this heartache will be good for her... it'll remind her that she has one, even if it doesn't beat."
- —Reilly on Inny's supposedly heartless and cold-blooded nature
Magical abilities and skills
- Nancy Potter: "Isn't that great? I can do something you can't do."
- Inny: "There's nothing I can't do."
- — Inny asserts her highly capable magical prowess
- Dark Arts:
- Logical thinking and intelligence:
- Aries Peltier III: "Has anyone ever told you, Inny, that this whole sneaking up on people, getting inside their heads, isn't cool? It's not cool. Okay?"
- Inny: "I'm right, though."
- Aries Peltier III: "You're always right."
- — Inny's discreet use of Legilimency on members of her family
- Care of Magical Creatures:
- Sign language:
- Wand versatility:
- Hawthorn wand:
- Moon necklace:
- Dress robes:
- Cauldwell lakehouse:
- "You don't understand, do you, Sirius? As long as we keep remembering, he's still here."
- —Inny to her brother regarding their father's memory
- Reilly Cauldwell: "Your brother seems nice."
- Inny: "He's not nice, he's amazing."
- — Inny's admiration for her eldest brother
- "I need you. You are so good. It's like you are filled with it, and I know that I need goodness in my life, because without it there's an awful lot of darkness."
- —Inny finally reveals her true feelings for Reilly
- "I am not Reilly. His magic is nowhere near as advanced as mine, so I recommend that you best watch your tone with me."
- —Patricia Cauldwell scolding Inny for disrespecting her
- "No matter how much a snake sheds its skin, it's still a snake."
- —Inny expresses sole distrust in her cousin
Aries Peltier III
- Inny: "You need them to think you're stronger than you actually are."
- Philip: "Oh... that's what you do!"
- Inny: "Me? Oh, no. My power is no illusion. I can fucking demolish you."
- — Inny playfully yet earnestly teasing Philip
- "You're no good for me, Matt. You never were."
- —Inny's reasoning for ending her romance with Matthew
- Theo: "You're dead, Leander."
- Inny: "Funny, you'd think I'd have stopped walking around by now."
- — Inny and Theo engaging in a bitter back-and-forth
- "I'm aware you tried to give him a gift, which really is very sweet but nothing we encourage... however, in your particular case, I can perhaps see where the confusion has come from... Professor Helmick is a wonderful teacher, very committed, but with that said one must be clear where one draws the line..."
- —Professor Bloxam questions the propriety of Professor Helmick's guidance sessions
The name Lily is an English name, referencing the lily flower and meaning "pure". The lily flower acts as a symbol of beauty and, ironically, innocence and purity.
Minerva is the Roman name of Athena, Greek goddess of wisdom, courage, strategy, and justice, (among other things). The name means "wise."
The name Leander is a Greek baby name, although it can be used as a surname; the meaning of this name is "lion-man", which could perhaps be cleverly attributed to the Leanders' most commonly being sorted into Gryffindor.
- Inny's theme song was She's Lost Control by Joy Division.
- Inny's specialised soundtrack, titled vixen, can be found on 8tracks.
- Her Amortentia was Muggle petrol, the burning smell of a campfire, lilies, and spearmint toothpaste.