Helena Kirby (b. 8 April) is a half-blood witch of the Kirby family, who attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry two years above Ember Cauldwell and Maisie Thorn. She was Sorted into Ravenclaw and in her fifth year she was promoted to a Prefect. She was also a member of Dumbledore's Army.
Personality and traits
- Harvey Patterson: "Well, maybe if you didn't hate so many people—"
- Helena: "On the contrary, actually. I don't hate anyone, nor do I give any reason for anyone to hate me. They create their own little dramas out of pure jealousy."
- — Helena and her strong opinions
Magical abilities and skills
- "You're a nice boy, Elliot. I'd hate to see you dragged down as well."
- —Helena giving Elliot her stamp of approval
The name Helena is a girls name of Greek origin meaning "bright, shining light". The name is borne in Greek legend by the beautiful wife of the king of Sparta. Her abduction by the Trojan prince Paris sparked off the Trojan War.
The surname Kirby is an English habitational name from any of the numerous places in northern England called Kirby or Kirkby. It comes from the Old Norse kirkja meaning ("church") + býr meaning ("settlement").
- It is said by Harvey that Helena chooses not to attend Quidditch matches unless Ravenclaw are playing, as she thinks none of the other Houses are worth supporting and she has the tendency to get into arguments with others.